The other night I wanted something warm and comforting to eat but didn't want to go out. So, I came up with this. It was actually really good and could be dressed up for company or more meat added for a complete meal. If any of you make it, let me know what you think. Stay Warm!!
Spinach with Bacon, White Beans, and Balsamic Vinegar
- Splash of Olive Oil
- 4 slices of bacon (more or less depending on what you have) or Ham (if you use ham, might need a bit more oil to prevent sticking)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced or 2 tablespoons minced
- 1 can of cannellini beans, Great Northern Beans, or White Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed (note I used regular kidney beans since that was all I had. I say use white beans because it would look better)
- 1 can diced italian tomatoes
- 1 can (lg or sm) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Fresh spinach (you will need at least a whole bag. I used aprox 2 bags)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinager
1. Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until simmering. Add bacon or ham and saute until crisp, about 5 min. Remove bacon and keep on a paper towel. Crumble when cool.
2. Add garlic to oil, saute 1 min.
3. Add mushrooms, saute 3-5 min.
4. Add tomatoes and beans. Stirring occasionally till warm throughout.
5. Add spinach till tender and wilted but still green, about 3-5 min. Add a little water if you need think it needs it.
6. Add Vinegar, stir. Season with Salt and pepper if needed.
7. Stir in 3/4 of crumbled bacon to dish. Sprinkle remaining amount on top.
Note: You could add cooked chicken to make more of a one dish meal.